Re: disable orange progress running apt

On Mon, Aug 07, 2017 at 04:14:28PM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Monday 07 August 2017 11:26:16 Greg Wooledge wrote:
> > Or do you dispute the fact that apt uses yellow foreground text when
> > you do "apt update"?
>
> I see the link namestring and path in a medium red while its fetching the
> lists

Just checked on the Linux console, and tput setaf 3 gives me a color
that might be described as orange, or red-orange.  I'm not really a
color guy.

tput setaf 3 on rxvt-unicode (with default settings) gives a bright
yellow.  I've actually configured it with

wooledg:~$ cat .Xresources
Rxvt*color3:		goldenrod

which is still somewhat hard to read, but not as bad as yellow-on-white.

> > Are you suggesting that apt(8) uses LS_COLORS?

> I do not believe that apt controls the colors, that is all in the
> processing of the text as its being rendered for display in your native
> language.

No, apt definitely chooses the colors, by sending escape sequences to
the terminal.  In this case, it sends the escape sequence for "color 3"
as defined in the terminfo database for each terminal type.  On the
Linux console in Debian 9 amd64, this is a dark orange or red-orange
of some kind.  In rxvt-unicode with defaults, this is yellow.

It's not affected by locale settings, but it may be affected by terminal
settings.

> So it could very well be using LS_COLORS.

If you don't believe me, you can unset that variable and see if it makes
apt change behavior.

Of course, we need to wait for there to be new lists to process, unless
you're also willing to remove your cached package lists to make it have
something to download.

> So I've failed, again.  Oldtimers?  Or have I? An hour later, take a look
> at /home/$usr/.themes/PiX/GTK-3.0/README.  I have a headache trying to
> figure it out, but I have a gut feeling it could be related to the
> LS_COLORS env variable.  The PiX part of the path might be different if
> your is not a pi of course.

apt is not linked against libgtk.  GTK is a graphical widget library
used by GNOME and web browsers and other applications of that kind.