Re: Bug in Brother HL4040 driver?

On Sunday 06 August 2017 18:03:31 Brian wrote:

> On Sun 06 Aug 2017 at 15:53:42 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:

> > > Citation for the 4040CN please. As far as I can see its language
> > > emulation is PCL 6 only.
> >
> > From the web link above.
>
> There is nothing on that page which says the 4040CN  will accept a
> PDF or JPEG sent *directly* to it and print it correctly. In other
> words, the printer does not handle both ".pdf's and jpeg's natively".
> Whatever "natively" means.

> > > Which "fine print"?
> >
> > PPD description, you can read it at localhost:631/printers, click on
> > modify after highliting the printer?
>
> I still do not understand what you mean by "makes a pdf out of
> whatever knocks on the drivers door". Sending a PDF to the printer is
> doomed to failure.

It has become obvious to me that you have an unusual situation, that I
have attempted to ask questions that might lead to discovering the
problem.  I have failed, and since it seems Mikes cups software is in
the middle of it, that is why I recommended you take your .conf file,
and the logs to Mike on his list. You will probably get an answer from
Mike or one of his staff at Apple.  I've known Mike since the Delphi
days when we were working on TRS-80 Color Computers, running os9, a unix
like os for a 64k computer, 30 years ago.  He is ok IMNSHO, and he wrote
cups.

You likely will not solve it by chasing every bit of the advice offered
here, so take it to the source, Michael Sweet.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)