Re: Bug in Brother HL4040 driver?

On Sunday 06 August 2017 18:12:49 Brian wrote:

> On Sun 06 Aug 2017 at 16:09:22 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:

> > > Only entries in /var/log/cups/error_log are:
> > >
> > > Duplicate listen address "/var/run/cups/cups.sock" ignored.
> > > E [06/Aug/2017:00:05:22 +0100] Unknown directive JobPrivateAccess
> > > on line 83 of /etc/cups/cupsd.conf.
> > > E [06/Aug/2017:00:05:22 +0100] Unknown directive JobPrivateValues
> > > on line 84 of /etc/cups/cupsd.conf.
> > > E [06/Aug/2017:00:05:22 +0100] Unknown directive
> > > SubscriptionPrivateAccess on line 85 of /etc/cups/cupsd.conf.
> > > E [06/Aug/2017:00:05:22 +0100] Unknown directive
> > > SubscriptionPrivateValues on line 86 of /etc/cups/cupsd.conf.
> > >
> > > I've never touched cupsd.conf directly so Im not sure whats messed
> > > it up.
> > >
> > > Ive just printed something sucessfully from GIMP and LibreOffice
> > > and both a JPEG & PDF from Vivaldi and cupsd is listed in the
> > > output from ps yet the web interface is not listening on port 631.
> > >
> > > Printing issue is intermittent, but without being able to get into
> > > the CUPS interface Im not sure which driver it is currently
> > > configured to use.
> >
> > Humm.  Do you have lpinfo? lpinfo -l -v gets me a list of all usable
> > protocols and printers, too long to post though. For my b&w laser:
>
> ~5K is large?
>
> > Device: uri = usb://Brother/HL-2140%20series?serial=L7J156867
> >         class = direct
> >         info = Brother HL-2140 series
> >         make-and-model = Brother HL-2140 series
> >         device-id = MFG:Brother;CMD:PJL,HBP;MDL:HL-2140
> > series;CLS:PRINTER;~
> >
> > For my large format inkjet:
> > Device: uri = dnssd://Brother%20MFC-J6920DW._printer._tcp.local/
> >         class = network
> >         info = Brother MFC-J6920DW
> >         make-and-model = Brother MFC-J6920DW
> >         device-id = MFG:Brother;MDL:MFC-J6920DW;CMD:HBP,BRPJL,URF;
> >
> > There are several of those because I have them preconfigured for
> > this job or that job.
> >
> > You should get something similar. You might also install htop, and
> > see if cups is running.
>
> What is wrong with 'systemctl status cups'?

Nothing, if the script has a status report ability.  10 years ago it was
always there and could be trusted.  Now its missing half the time
because it runs on the authors machine so it must be useless code.

Its one of those things you never need, until you do.  As for the
systemctl status cups, the only machine I have here new enough for
systemctl is a jessie install on a raspi thats running 3/4 ton of metal
lathe, and it says:

pi@picncsheldon:~ $ systemctl status cups
● cups.service
   Loaded: not-found (Reason: No such file or directory)
   Active: inactive (dead)
pi@picncsheldon:~ $ systemctl status cupsd
● cupsd.service
   Loaded: not-found (Reason: No such file or directory)
   Active: inactive (dead)

Despite that, geany can print to either of the two brother printers here
in this room, anything I want it to print that I have tried so far.  And
a web page firefox was looking at, printed better on the inkjet here
than it looked on the raspi's hdmi monitor.

However, htop says cups-browsed is running, so:
pi@picncsheldon:~/linuxcnc/configs/sheldon-lathe $ systemctl status
cups-browsed

● cups-browsed.service - Make remote CUPS printers available locally
   Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/cups-browsed.service; enabled)
   Active: active (running) since Wed 2017-07-26 22:26:23 EDT; 1 weeks 4
days ago
 Main PID: 641 (cups-browsed)
   CGroup: /system.slice/cups-browsed.service
           └─641 /usr/sbin/cups-browsed

So that explains that.

And, if I fire up firefox on that raspi and send it to
localhost:631/printers it lists everything connected to this computer,
180 feet of cat 5 or 6 away.  And it can print a web page just fine.

But this does not help Brian.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)