Re: [solved] Re: Live recording

On Sun, 6 Aug 2017 15:37:15 +1200
Richard Hector <richard@walnut.gen.nz> wrote:

> On 06/08/17 13:18, Eike Lantzsch wrote:
> >> Except that it's hard to tell what size those connectors are.
> >> Unless there's something in the description that I can't read that
> >> says they're 3.5mm, they look to me more like 6.25mm. I'm not sure
> >> what it is - I think 3.5mm plugs are usually more rounded on the
> >> end, while the larger ones often have that point. Also, it looks
> >> like the case comes apart, and I think the only ones I've seen
> >> with such skinny bodies are moulded plastic. If that's 3.5mm, I
> >> think it would be very hard to assemble by hand, which the body
> >> designs suggest.
> >>
> >> Richard
> > 3.5mm and 2.5mm plugs can be soldered all right but
>
> Yes - I was trying to suggest that the plugs in the picture, if it's a
> 3.5mm plug, look a bit small in the body to be user-assembled - yet
> they clearly come apart. The ones I've soldered have bigger bodies
> relative to the actual connector. The really thin ones tend to be
> moulded.
>
> I'm not sure if I'm making myself clear ... it would help if the site
> actually specified what they're selling :-)

Yes, but I think the real issue in making one is that the plug is a
right-angle one, and right-angled plugs are usually pigs to fit. But
they are certainly 1/4" in the picture, the proportions are different
for the miniature versions.

No problem getting 2.5mm and 3.5mm mono or stereo rewireable plugs:
https://www.maplin.co.uk/p/35mm-metal-stereo-plug-fj99h
https://www.maplin.co.uk/p/25mm-plastic-stereo-plug-fj85g

though as another poster said, they need fairly lightweight cable.

--
Joe