Re: Missing HDMI display

Michael Milliman composed on 2017-08-01 21:22 (UTC-0500):

> With a little more research, I have found that the HDMI interface is
> detected and shows up on the xrandr output.  However, it shows up as
> being disconnected, even though it is indeed connected.  I note that I
> have checked both the cable and the the connector on the monitor (HDTV
> in this case) and they both are good -- both windows on the same
> laptop, and the HDMI outputs of two different Android tablets work with
> the TV on their HDMI ports using the same cable and input on the TV.

> I have done a little additional research on the web, and found a couple
> of similar situations, but I have been unable to get xrandr to show the
> HDMI port as connected.

What does Xorg.0.log say? Share the whole thing via paste.debian.net (optionally
pastebinit via cmdline).

I suspect you're going to need specialized help due to some bug. Where to go I
can't be sure, because nothing you've written makes it completely unambiguous
whether the HDMI port is controlled by a proprietary NVidia driver or one of the
FOSS drivers. https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c05567143 doesn't seem to
help either.

If it's only NVidia showing up in the log, you probably need to goto NVidia's
support forum. If Intel is showing up in the log, then I'd start with the
intel-gfx@lists.freedesktop.org mailing list so that Intel's driver devs can
take a look. For the latter,
https://01.org/linuxgraphics/documentation/how-report-bugs has rather explicit
instructions to consider.