Re: Missing HDMI display

On Mon, 2017-07-31 at 18:20 -0500, Michael Milliman wrote:
> On Sun, 2017-07-30 at 19:23 -0400, Felix Miata wrote:
> Thanks, Felix...
> > Michael Milliman composed on 2017-07-30 15:32 (UTC-0500):
> >
> > > Ok, guys.  I'm working on getting Debian 9.1 with Gnome DEfully
> > > functional with a new laptop.  A couple of the issues have been
> > > addressed already, and fixed.  The next issue is a missing HDMI
> > > output.
> > > I'm running a very new HP Pavilion Power laptop (model number 15-
> > > cb045wm with core i7-7700 CPU, Intel Kabylake HD Graphics GT2,
> > > and
> > > NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 GPU.  The laptop has an HDMI connector on
> > > the
> > > side, and it works with Windows 10.  However, the HDMI display
> > > does
> > > not
> > > show up under linux.  The HDMI output does show up under
> > > Pulseaudio,
> > > though it appears to be non-functional, i.e., when I set the
> > > configuration up for HDMI output, nothing comes out through the
> > > HDMI
> > > connection.  I have no real idea how to troubleshoot this issue,
> > > and
> > > suspect that this system may be new enough that the drivers have
> > > not
> > > caught up with the chipset, and so I may be out of luck for a
> > > little
> > > while.
> > > I have searched the debian-user list archive and found nothing
> > > that
> > > appeared to be useful.  Any information one of you Gurus might
> > > have
> > > will be appreciated.
> >
> > Sounds to me like your key search terms should have been 'linux
> > hybrid graphics'
> > or 'debian hybrid graphics', and you don't have any of the possible
> > candidates
> > installed.
> >
> > https://wiki.debian.org/Bumblebee looks like a place to start.
>
> Check out this link, and installed the proprietary NVIDIA driver
> along
> with Bumblebee.  This solved another problem when the NVIDIA driver
> was
> installed which caused GDM to crash on boot.  However, this did not
> solve the issue with the HDMI output.  I still show only the main
> display in gnome-control-center, no HDMI display.
>
> I suspect, therefore, that the problem is with the other VGA device
> showing on lspci:
>     VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation Device
>     [8086:591b] (rev 04)
> which shows as "Intel Kabylake HD Graphics GT2" in
> /sys/bus/devices/0000:00:02.0/label
>

> > These should be useful even though not intended for Debian:
> > https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PRIME
> > https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/NVIDIA_Optimus
>
> Note that there does not appear to be an Intel Optimus device on the
> system, the NVIDIA card if an Intel GeForce GTX.
With a little more research, I have found that the HDMI interface is
detected and shows up on the xrandr output.  However, it shows up as
being disconnected, even though it is indeed connected.  I note that I
have checked both the cable and the the connector on the monitor (HDTV
in this case) and they both are good -- both windows on the same
laptop, and the HDMI outputs of two different Android tablets work with
the TV on their HDMI ports using the same cable and input on the TV.

I have done a little additional research on the web, and found a couple
of similar situations, but I have been unable to get xrandr to show the
HDMI port as connected.

--
73s de Mike, WB5VQX