Re: Darn 'beep' stoped working after installing Stretch in place of Jessie

On 08/01/2017 01:13 PM, Juan R. de Silva wrote:
On Tue, 01 Aug 2017 17:17:05 +0200, Dejan Jocic wrote:

On 01-08-17, RavenLX wrote:
Having it work out-of-the-box would be nice. After a fresh install, I
have a bash script I run that installs all the apps I use and
configures them. Sometimes though, there are things that a user needs
to answer. Thus, if I want to have the script running and go do
something else, I want to "beep" when it's going to need attention by
the user. I noticed this does not work in Stretch so I ended up
removing the part to install the "beep" package and use beep to alert
the user. I have tried escape codes via echo -e as well, and no beep
there either.

Does printf "\a" works for you? Though, echo -e "\a" works here too.

printf "\a" and echo -e "\a" work, as well as all other versions of
echo like:
echo -e \\a
echo -e '\a'
echo -en '\x07'
echo -en "\x07"

However neither of them produces an expecting "beep sound" (do not
confuse with 'beep' comand/utility). Exsecuting any of the above
produces default system "Sounds Effects" sound instead.

When I tried it in Konsole (the printf and the echo -e "\a" lines) I got no sound. In Xterm I got the default beep that I don't think is from the sound subsystem. Sounded very much like a standard terminal beep.