Re: Jessie networking with multiple IPs (IPv and IPv6), single physical NIC

On Wed, Jul 26, 2017 at 3:43 PM, Sven Hartge <sven@svenhartge.de> wrote:
> Tom Browder <tom.browder@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, Jul 26, 2017 at 2:11 PM, Sven Hartge <sven@svenhartge.de> wrote:
>
>> So can the above be simplified by leaving out the repeated info like
>> dns-nameservers, gateway, and netmask to give something like:
>
>> #=====================================
>> iface eth0 inet static
>>         address 142.54.186.2
>>         netmask 255.255.255.248
>>         gateway 142.54.186.1
>>         dns-nameservers 192.187.107.16 69.30.209.16
>> iface eth0 inet static
>>         address 142.54.186.3
>> iface eth0 inet static
>>         address 142.54.186.4
>> iface eth0 inet static
>>         address 142.54.186.5
>> iface eth0 inet static
>>         address 142.54.186.6
>
> I do believe you need the "netmask" option, but the rest is just needed
> once. But from reading interfaces(5) I think you further simplify by
> writing:
>
> ,----
> |  auto eth0
> |  iface eth0 inet static
> |          address 142.54.186.2/29
> |          gateway 142.54.186.1
> |          dns-nameservers 192.187.107.16 69.30.209.16
> |  iface eth0 inet static
> |          address 142.54.186.3/29
> |  iface eth0 inet static
> |          address 142.54.186.4/29
> |  iface eth0 inet static
> |          address 142.54.186.5/29
> |  iface eth0 inet static
> |          address 142.54.186.6/29
> `----

Okay, sounds good: I don't need to duplicate anything, then.

I admire your reading of man 5 interfaces. I find it very hard to
understand since the pieces seem so disconnected, and, as usual, man
pages are short on real examples.

I'm ready to try the new file and I'll report results later.

Thanks so much Sven.

Best regards,

-Tom

BTW, my wife and I and two friends had a very nice time visiting
Denmark in May while on a cruise in the Baltic celebrating our 50th
wedding anniversary.  Our ship, Holland-America's ms Rotterdam,
visited Copenhagen and Arhus and we enjoyed them very much--especially
Arhus.