Re: Installed Stretch, but no command line

Ken Heard composed on 2017-07-23 18:25 (UTC-0400):

> Felix Miata wrote:

>> Ken Heard composed on 2017-07-23 12:21 (UTC-0400):

>>> Ctrl-alt-F1 shows the blank screen which appears at the end of
>>> the boot.  I think the problem is that what appears on opening
>>> tty2 to tty5 should appear in tty1 but for some reason does not
>>> -- instead the blank screen.

>> /etc/systemd/system/getty.target.wants/getty@tty1.service probably
>> says

>> TTYVTDisallocate=yes

>> Changing to

>> TTYVTDisallocate=no

>> should on subsequent boots leave init messages on tty1, but
>> plymouth may need to be purged for that to happen.

> I tried that, but after I entered my /home password the boot continued
> and then stopped.  After waiting fifteen minutes or so I concluded
> that the machine hanged.

All my installations have that set to no, so it's very surprising to me that
this could happen.

> I tried using the recovery mode from GRUB, but that hahged the machine
> as well.  I then tried rescue mode from the installation disk.  If it
> is possible to use that to put the Yes back, I could not figure it out.

> What do I do now?

If you had made a copy before your edit it would be a simple matter to rename
it. :-(

That said, that file is a plain text file. Any editor available in rescue mode
can put it back once the Stretch / partition is mounted. Try nano first, which
for most people is much more intuitive than traditional Linux editors like vi.

Something to try first: append plymouth.enable=0 to the kernel cmdline for an
otherwise normal boot. Also try appending a 3, which should block startup of the
GUI login manager, but also should make normal ttys 1-6 available.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/