Re: Setup Grub-Legacy on Jessie

On 07/20/2017 11:34 PM, Felix Miata wrote:
Jimmy Johnson composed on 2017-07-20 2:13 (UTC-0700):

Felix Miata wrote:

...I wanted Jessie on sda1 where I keep my
menu.lst and keep things simple.

"Simple" I find impossible in multiboot of any serious extent. Closest thing
there can be to simple is a master bootloader on a primary partition which only
the admin ever touches, and is never ever mounted to /boot.

All my PCs are multiboot.

Do you test operating systems?

Yes. I have two functional PCs with as few as 4 OS installed, both using
software RAID. Most PCs here have upwards of 10 OS, at least two with upwards of
25, of which one has more than 40.

None of my PCs have any incarnation of Grub* installed on any MBR. Generic MBR
code works.[1]

And you can still use a menu to boot your systems?

Given multiboot, I can't imagine why you would ask.

Okay, you use a separate partition to install grub, end of story.

Cheers,
--
Jimmy Johnson

Debian Jessie - KDE 4.14.2 - Intel G3220 - EXT4 at sda7
Registered Linux User #380263