Re: Setup Grub-Legacy on Jessie

Jimmy Johnson composed on 2017-07-19 02:30 (UTC-0700):

> Some of you may already know that setting up grub-legacy on Debian can
> be imposable, I've been thinking about this for awhile now and how to
> solve this problem that Ubuntu does not have.

> So I added trusty main to my Jessie repos and installed trusty grub and
> trusty grub-common, I had to do a force-install and an apt-hold on
> grub-common to keep it from getting upgraded.

> And then I started grub and ran
> #find /boot/grub/stage1
> #root (hd0,0)
> #setup (hd0)

> I was half expecting it not to work cause I don't know anyone else who
> has tried this, but it worked and I booted it a few times until I was
> convinced it was working. :)

> Questions or suggestions?

I don't like that kind of repo mixing.

All my PCs are multiboot.

None of my PCs have any incarnation of Grub* installed on any MBR. Generic MBR
code works.[1]

The only OS installations here with Grub2 installed are *buntus, and I don't use
them much. I equate Grub2 to systemd, except that Grub2 is easier to avoid
having contaminate user experience.

All my other Linux installations have Grub Legacy installed to their /
filesystems, manually by me from openSUSE packages where the OS does not offer a
working package of it. Grub Legacy requires no scripts or filesystem mounting to
setup, and its menu.lst is magnitudes easier than Grub2's grub.cfg to manually
maintain. The / bootloader installations are mainly only used for loading
previous or test kernel versions.

All my PCs have a master boot partition, where Grub Legacy from openSUSE is
installed. openSUSE's Grub Legacy has been kept adequately maintained for my
needs, which means EXT4 filesystems are fully supported. OTOH, Debian's Grub
Legacy is broken WRT EXT4, OK with EXT2/3. These master boot partitions are
configured manually to load every Linux installation's default kernel, plus
chainloading each, and chainloading DOS/OS2/Windows (if applicable), plus memtest.

IOW, where Grub Legacy can still be used, it's far preferable. If it works for
you, enjoy. :-)

[1]
https://old-en.opensuse.org/Bugs/grub#How_does_a_PC_boot_.2F_How_can_I_set_up_a_working_GRUB.3F

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/