Re: cups

On Thu, Jul 20, 2017 at 07:51:19PM +0200, Pol Hallen wrote:
> Hi all :-)
>
> can someone tell me how cups handles pdf files?
>
> I've cups on server and some clients connected to it (ipp://ip/printer)
>
> From client I print (ie: a 300Kb of pdf), in log cups server I see that file
> size about 4/5Mb (why?), so the printer before print it I've to wait also 15
> minutes :-/
>
> This happens only with a client with debian testing (and latest update of
> cups) before this updates no problem.
>
> thanks for help and advices :-)))

Total guess here, and no doubt Brian or someone who's a real CUPS expert
will reply shortly, but I'm wondering if your PDF file contains a lot of
images? Or a single large image? My guess is the client is assuming
(probably correctly, I would have thought) that it has to preprocess
those images from some potentially-highly-compressed format into a
bitmap format of one kind or another to send to the printer, and that is
causing it to take more space. That could explain the much larger size
of what is being processed than the size of the document. Shouldn't take
15 minutes to print a document even in that case though. Is it 15 mins
of nothing apparently happening at all or 15 minutes of the printer
futzing around looking like it's getting ready to print but not actually
taking the paper and getting on with it? I have that latter symptom on
my system (for 1-2 minutes, not 15!) when I haven't printed for a while
and the printer decides that the moment I need a document in a hurry is
the moment to clean the print nozzles...

Mark