Re: Apt-get Upgrade Problem in Stretch?

From: mrmazda@earthlink.net
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org

Fungi4All composed on 2017-07-19 15:18 (UTC-0400):

>> mrmazda@earthlink.net composed:
>> Did you miss that in Stretch apt is preferred to apt-get?

> But will there be different results with apt upgrade than with apt-get?

Will: I have no idea.

Can: Yes.

Apt and apt-get are not identical twins.

Felix Miata *** http://fm.no-ip.com/

This is on sid:
I know a static picture from a system already upgraded is no indicator but
I run 4 commands out of curiocity and got identical 4 responses about
removing some no longer needed pkgs which I do not all want to be
autoremoved.
apt-get dist-upgrade
apt dist-upgrade
apt-get upgrade
apt upgrade

No difference, nothing to be upgraded, 2 pkgs held back, about
15 other packages can be removed as no longer needed.
Included was the buster 4.9.03 image which I want to keep around as
I think it will be an LTS and as a backup in case something upgraded
breaks.  Even after I locked 4.9.03 the image came up on the list
but I am sure the autoremove would not have removed it.
I haven't actually checked but I think they have been merged as one

In synaptic the term apt-get only exists in cron-apt description.
The /etc/apt directory seems to be getting more and more complex.