Re: Diskless Debian stretch ISCSI boot (uefi) and shutdown hanging problem

Hi,

(I'm one of the maintainers of the open-iscsi package in Debian.)

On 07/19/2017 07:40 AM, Franz Angeli wrote:
> i have one diskless server able to boot with ISCSI, uefi is configures
> to reach iscsi target and volume correctly;
>
> i installed Debian 9 with debian installer ad all works fine, at the
> end of installation process i remount root filesystem with (chroot
> /target) and edit initaramfs.conf with:
>
> IP=10.10.200.150::10.10.200.1:255.255.255.0:ti******1.mk*******.it:eno1
>
> and after i update initramfs with:
>
> update-initramfs -u
>
> system boot correctly and works fine.
>
> Problem is during shutdown, system hanging with:
>
> a stop job is running for ifup for eno1
>
> a stop job is running for Raise network interfaces
>
> and i have to reset the server...
>
> I know i can do the same with:
>
> "ISCSI_AUTO=true" on /etc/iscsi/iscsi.initramfs
>
> but i need a static IP configured as i do.

Do you perhaps also have something in /etc/network/interfaces or
/etc/network/interfaces.d, perhaps even DHCP configured? Because
if that takes over IP configuration and systemd kills the DHCP
client (which in turn removes the IP of the interface at
shutdown), then you'll see a hang because the network is gone
even though you still need it.

(ifupdown _should_ detect rootfs on iSCSI and not try to down
the interface by script, but the SIGTERM from systemd might
cause the dhcp client to drop the IP anyway.)

(Also note that you'd need to reboot twice after changing this
to test if that works.)

Regards,
Christian