Re: perl system integrity?

On Tue 18 Jul 2017 at 12:52:15 (-0400), Jude DaShiell wrote:
> Does any means exist within perl to detect that a perl base
> installed on a system is completely intact?  Perl base is perl
> binary and all support packages that binary uses before cpan or
> cpanp is run.  The perl base is put on newly installed systems.
> I am interested in this since sometimes system updates break perl
> and steps have to be taken to clear the breakage then repair steps
> need to be taken.  If a means exists to let a user know this list of
> packages came with your installed system and are now missing perl
> system repairs could be expedited.
> Aside from perl, such capabilities added to other base systems like
> python for one example could help out repairing those other systems
> too.

You could try:

# debsums -l ; debsums -ca

where
debsums -l    will tell you if any packages are missing an md5 sums file.
debsums -ca   will check all the files' integrity including conf files, and
              report on any that are different (ie normally just the conf
              files that you changed yourself).

# debsums -l
# debsums -ca
/etc/console-setup/remap.inc
/etc/default/cups
#

The latter is slow, obviously, taking 10 minutes on this old laptop.

Cheers,
David.