Re: video driver?

On Tue, 18 Jul 2017 06:52:05 -0400
RavenLX <ravenlx@sitesplace.net> wrote:

Hello RavenLX,

>This poses an interesting question: Why would a company keep something
>proprietary such as a driver?

Control.  And the (misguided?) belief that they'll end up fielding tech
support questions for driver modifications they didn't make.

>As a programmer, I don't think many (if any) would be able to say,
>reverse-engineer a chip or device, etc. and replicate it just by
>looking at programming code (unless I'm mistaken)?

It'll certainly give people a few clues as to how nVidia achieve certain
things.

To be clear;  I'm not supporting nVidia's position, I'm simply playing
Devil's Advocate.  OTOH, I can't claim to be totally against nVidia's
position either;  I use their GFX cards and drivers on two machines
here.

IOW, I don't pursue software freedoms with as much keenly as some others
do.

--
 Regards  _
They said we'd be artistically free, but that was on a bit of paper