Re: Laptop hangs after wake up in stretch

> On Fri, Jul 14, 2017 at 01:42:01AM +0200, Tobias Bengfort wrote:
>>
>>since updating to stretch I have a weird issue with my Lenovo X201
>>laptop: Sometimes when waking up from suspend it "hangs". The symptoms
>>are somewhat strange:
>>
>>- All open programs still work fine.
>>- I can open a new tab inside of an existing terminal. The bash prompt
>>appears just fine.
>>- Any process I try to start hangs.
>>- The CPU monitor in lxpanel shows 100% usage.
>>
>>I was not yet able to reliably reproduce the issue. I feel that it often
>>happens after suspending on battery power.
>>
>>Has anyone ever experienced something similar? Any pointers as to where
>>I should look for clues?
>
> On the face of it, this sounds like an inaccessible file system. You can
> open new tabs and re-launch processes because (in the case of launching
> a new tab) the information is still in memory or (in the case of
> launching a new process using a previously-run program, such as bash),
> the file is available from the disk cache. You can't access new programs
> because that would involve pulling information from the disk, which you
> can't get to.
>
> That might be something to look into. Be aware that, if your disk is
> inaccessible, then logs might not be being written out either.

On the flipside, it will be my immediate open [program] that won't
work. Well, the program AND the keyboard. I think someone MIGHT have
mentioned that recently... or not? Maybe it was me trying to chime in
and then "ran out of words" again....

I accidentally stumbled on a fix in my case. Click anything in the top
toolbar so that something else takes priority in the screen. Click
back to whatever was opened previously, and the keyboard is back to
working 100% as expected.

Normally I can at least guess at what might be going on under the
hood, but that one is a little different right there.

As of about 12 hours ago, I have been blessed to be able to be back
working on a desktop PC. The hang thing hasn't happened once yet after
MANY suspends so I'm back to my old mantra that some combination of
battery power AND memory usage is in play in at least some of these
kinds of instances....

Although... yes, absolutely and indeed.........

*Or not.* :)

As I proofread that before clicking "Send", the same thought occurs to
me that always does. Maybe there's some way to monitor what's going
on... and then "teach" Debian to come back up for air in small,
logical increments rather than all at once....

Or something like that.... there.........

Yeah, that might end up being a nanosecond slower than normal.... but
that nanosecond slower is a whole lot better than the kind of
"lockdowns" that some of us regularly experience......

Just thinking out loud again from ye ol' Pickens County.. :)

Cindy :)

--
Cindy-Sue Causey

* runs with duct tape... and a desktop PC with a Debian Buster copy
initially debootstrap'ed on an ASUS netbook'y type laptop *