Re: Laptop hangs after wake up in stretch

On Fri, Jul 14, 2017 at 01:42:01AM +0200, Tobias Bengfort wrote:
Hi,

since updating to stretch I have a weird issue with my Lenovo X201
laptop: Sometimes when waking up from suspend it "hangs". The symptoms
are somewhat strange:

- All open programs still work fine.
- I can open a new tab inside of an existing terminal. The bash prompt
appears just fine.
- Any process I try to start hangs.
- The CPU monitor in lxpanel shows 100% usage.

I was not yet able to reliably reproduce the issue. I feel that it often
happens after suspending on battery power.

Has anyone ever experienced something similar? Any pointers as to where
I should look for clues?

On the face of it, this sounds like an inaccessible file system. You can
open new tabs and re-launch processes because (in the case of launching
a new tab) the information is still in memory or (in the case of
launching a new process using a previously-run program, such as bash),
the file is available from the disk cache. You can't access new programs
because that would involve pulling information from the disk, which you
can't get to.

That might be something to look into. Be aware that, if your disk is
inaccessible, then logs might not be being written out either.

tobias

--
For more information, please reread.