Re: Suggestions AMD or NVidia

Felix Miata wrote:

>> so linux friendly that they dropped support for older cards in newer
>> kernels, so that our older computers render unusable
>
> Which older cards are unsupported by either ati and/or modesetting FOSS
> drivers? All my Radeon and FireGL still work. I've never needed a
> proprietary Xorg driver for an ATI gfxchip.

I don't recall the exact model, but it must be 10y old. while it was working
good with ubuntu 14 I think kernel 3.x, it was not possible to watch any
video stream in ubuntu 16. Kernel - driver issue
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BinaryDriverHowto/AMD

and I don't know what was in ubuntu 16.04, but it simply did not work.