Re: Suggestions AMD or NVidia

On 12/07/17 03:33 PM, Henning Follmann wrote:
Hello,
usually I do not really care about graphic power, however I am planning to
build a new machine for Monte Carlo simulations. And part of the
calculations would be perfect for offloading to a GPU.

So anyone have any suggestions for graphic cards (which preferably
are supported by debian). I know that currently AMD are hard to get because
of all the ethereum mining.

Which of the current cards are well supported under debian?
Or might give me some troubles?

TIA
-H

My preference is always to AMD for the simple reasons that they are more Linux-friendly and, as the number 2 company, need to be supported to ensure that computing doesn't become a monopoly. They are second behind Intel in chip sales and second behind NVidia in graphics cards. However their hardware always seems to work with Linux.

I've never needed to use proprietary drivers thanks to AMD's Linux support. However, I'm not a gamer so your mileage will vary...