Re: why do the developers keep changing mail / mailx?

On Wed, Jul 12, 2017 at 03:58:07PM -0400, Gary Dale wrote:
> I just spent about an hour with Google trying to fix a bash script that
> worked last year. The problem was that it stopped sending attachments.
>
> In the course of my research I found that mail / mailx over the years has
> used a variety of flags for attachments but now seems to have dropped the
> capability entirely. At one point -a <filename> would attach a file. At
> another, mailx adopted -A <filename> to do it. Lately neither program seems
> to support attachments.

In jessie, we had bsd-mailx and heirloom-mailx.  The latter had -a for
attachments, and was awesome and perfect, and is clearly what you were
using.

For some reason, Debian "replaced" heirloom-mailx with s-nail in stretch,
but they didn't *really* replace it.  They left it half-done, with no
mailx symlink, and no mail program either.  Then, you could install
bsd-mailx to get the old horrible mailx that doesn't do attachments,
which is obviously what happened here.

On <https://wiki.debian.org/NewInStretch> I suggest manually overriding
the /etc/alternatives/mailx symlink to point to s-nail.  If that has any
drawbacks for people formerly using heirloom-mailx, I'm not aware of them.

> Why did the mail / mailx developers drop support for attachments?

I have no idea why they left it half-broken, but apparently
<https://bugs.debian.org/846062> is a big part of the picture.  I feel
like the Debian maintainers were being pulled in multiple directions,
with one arm being yanked by the bsd-mailx people and the other being
yanked by the heirloom-mailx people.

P.S. during the upgrade to wheezy, mutt's -a option changed, and now
you have to use -- after the filename.  But this seems to be an upstream
change, not a Debian one.  I guess upstream mutt devs thought it was
more important to let someone do "-a *.txt" than to maintain backward
compatibility.  I've never used a wildcard to attach files to an email,
so I'm not sure where that idea came from, but ... oh well, it's done.