Re: Suggestions AMD or NVidia

On 12/07/2017 21:33, Henning Follmann wrote:
Hello,
usually I do not really care about graphic power, however I am planning to
build a new machine for Monte Carlo simulations. And part of the
calculations would be perfect for offloading to a GPU.

So anyone have any suggestions for graphic cards (which preferably
are supported by debian). I know that currently AMD are hard to get because
of all the ethereum mining.

Which of the current cards are well supported under debian?
Or might give me some troubles?

TIA
-H

Hello,
just built a new machines with AMD RX5xx series card and it works well in Debian Stretch and Buster/Sid with amdgpu free open-source driver. Nvidia cards with proprietary drivers usually allow to squeeze more performance out of the gpu, but the downsides of the closed-source driver are many. For me the main problems are not being able to track kernel release (Nvidia often lags behind kernel releases), the regular breakage resulting from upgrading the graphic stack (it would not apply to a Debian Stable system), and the opaque nature of the driver (random glitches that can't be debugged or fixed, user can just wait powerless for a new release...). On the other hand radeon/amdgpu AMD support is really progressing fast, support is really good now for most recent cards. www.phoronix.com many tests and benchmarks could be a good starting point for your investigation, most are gaming oriented but it's good source for general Linux support.
The RX570 and RX580 run very well and cool, 570 isn't too power-hungry.

Cheers.