Re: Driver/firmware for Realtek RTL8814U WiFi USB Adapter?

On Fri, 7 Jul 2017 20:39:41 -0400, you wrote:

>Hi Larry,
>
>Sorry for sending you down a rabbit hole.  The reason the DKMS steps
>didn't work is that the git repository for the rtl8814au lacks the
>configuration file(s) for DKMS.  Specifically, if you check your logs,
>you'll see that if failed to locate DKMS.conf.  I thought it would work
>because the rtl8814au driver appears to be based off the driver here:
>https://github.com/gnab/rtl8812au.  That driver does have the
>configuration files to support DKMS (Makefile.dkms and dkms.conf).  I
>don't know enough about DKMS to modify the configuration files in the
>above repository to make it work with the rtl8814au git repository.
>
>Fortunately, you can still compile the package for your existing
>kernel.  The only downside of this step is that you will need to
>re-compile the drivers if you install a new kernel which is not ABI
>compatible.  For example, the current Stretch kernel for AMD64 is
>linux-image-4.9.0-3-amd64 (4.9.30-2+deb9u2).  Thus, it should work with
>any future kernel starting with linux-image-4.9.0-3, but if you see
>4.9.0-4, you would likely have to recompile.  I haven't actually tested
>this, but it's what I've read.
>
>In any case, since you've already installed the build dependencies, you
>just need to do the following:
>
>#Clone the git repository (again) - Might as well work from a fresh
>directory
>git clone https://github.com/astsam/rtl8812au.git
>cd rtl8812au
>
>#Compile driver for your hardware
>make RTL8814=1
>
>#Install Module
>make install
>
>#With Wifi adapter connected, load Module  (If this fails, reboot and it
>should load the correct module.)
>modprobe 8812au
>
>Regards,
>
>Jason

Hello Jason,

After spending way too much time attempting to install the Realtek
RTL8814 driver module with DKMS, I took your advice and successfully
built and loaded it with the commands you kindly provided above.

My AMD_X86 system has an Intel 3168NGWG WiFi and BlueTooth PCIe card
installed, so I have been using it.  After loading the 8812au module,
WiFi will no longer connect while in CommandLine mode, but when
running in X11 mode, WiFi still works fine with the Intel adapter.  I
haven't tried removing the Intel iwiwfi module, as lsmod reported
three items associated with it, and I'm unfamiliar with that sort of
configuration.  I suspect removing the Intel iwiwfi module and loading
the 8812au module may overcome that issue.

The new device naming conventions are driving me mad.  I can no longer
'ls -l /dev/w*' to list the wireless devices, and don't know where to
find them anymore, although 'find' does help.  Unfortunately 'find'
didn't find a second (consecutively numbered) WiFi device, nor did
'ip' nor 'iwconfig'.  Of course the new 8812au USB adapter is still
listed in the 'lsusb' output as before loading the new module.

So currently, while I now have the 8812au driver module active, I'm
still unable to use the new Comfast CF-917AC WiFi USB adapter
hardware, and without a device name for it, I'm at a loss to diagnose
the issue further.

Thank you for submitting the Feature Request to have the driver
included in the Debian package repository, and all your very detailed
and assistance.

I'll attach a notes text file (kali_driver.txt) of related information
in the hope you may find it of interest.

Best regards,
Larry
http://git.kali.org/gitweb/?p=packages/realtek-rtl88xxau-dkms.git;a=summary

git clone git://git.kali.org/packages/realtek-rtl88xxau-dkms.git

Cloning into 'realtek-rtl88xxau-dkms'...
remote: Counting objects: 538, done.
Receiving objects: 100% (538/538), 2.44 MiB | 1.56 MiB/s, done.
Resolving deltas: 100% (196/196), done.
warning: remote HEAD refers to nonexistent ref, unable to checkout.
-------------------

See also:
http://git.kali.org/gitweb/?p=packages/realtek-rtl88xxau-dkms.git;a=commit;h=becf0914a1def4ea55a475aa7325c60c64450ac1

http://git.kali.org/gitweb/?p=packages/realtek-rtl88xxau-dkms.git;a=blob;f=debian/realtek-rtl88xxau-dkms.dkms;h=0bf2e4bfdf3472da1fa915587fda4201ac0632b3;hb=becf0914a1def4ea55a475aa7325c60c64450ac1

dkms.conf
PACKAGE_NAME="realtek-rtl88xxau"
PACKAGE_VERSION="#MODULE_VERSION#"
CLEAN="make clean"
BUILT_MODULE_NAME[0]=8812au
DEST_MODULE_LOCATION[0]="/updates"
MAKE[0]="'make' && 'make' RTL8814=1"
BUILT_MODULE_NAME[1]=8814au
DEST_MODULE_LOCATION[1]="/updates"
AUTOINSTALL="yes"

debian/rules
http://git.kali.org/gitweb/?p=packages/realtek-rtl88xxau-dkms.git;a=blob;f=debian/rules;h=62cd0ee2e90cd5777cfb9a100632ef8539f9d695;hb=becf0914a1def4ea55a475aa7325c60c64450ac1

   1 #!/usr/bin/make -f
   2
   3 VERSION=4.3.21~20170330
   4
   5 %:
   6         dh $@ --with dkms
   7
   8 override_dh_dkms:
   9         dh_dkms -V $(VERSION)
  10
  11 override_dh_fixperms:
  12         dh_fixperms
  13         find debian/realtek-rtl88xxau-dkms/usr/src -type f -exec chmod -x {} \;
  14
  15 # Nothing to configure, build or auto-install (all is done after
  16 # installation using dkms)
  17 override_dh_auto_configure:
  18 override_dh_auto_build:
  19 override_dh_auto_install:
----------------

see also upstream: http://git.kali.org/gitweb/?p=packages/realtek-rtl88xxau-dkms.git;a=commit;h=c1f1ddbfbf81a51aff3cb7723eb76173bb8fa1c5
=====================================

https://www.packtpub.com/mapt/book/networking_and_servers/9781783280414/2/ch02lvl1sec24/time-for-action--packet-injection

Time for action â?? packet injection

We will be using the aireplay-ng tool, which is available in Kali, for this exercise.

Follow the instructions below carefully:

    In order to do an injection test, first start Wireshark and the filter expression (wlan.bssid == <mac>) && !(wlan.fc.type_subtype == 0x08). This will ensure that we only see non-beacon packets for our lab network.

    Now run the following command aireplay-ng -9 -e Wireless Lab -a <mac> mon0 on a terminal.

    Go back to Wireshark and you should see a lot of packets on the screen now. Some of these packets have been sent by aireplay-ng, which we launched, and others are from the access point Wireless Lab in response to the injected packets.

What just happened?

We just successfully injected packets into our test lab network using aireplay-ng. It is important to note that our card injected these arbitrary packets into the network without being actually connected to the access point Wireless Lab.
Have a go hero â?? installing Kali on VirtualBox

We will look at packet injection in greater detail in later chapters; however, feel free to explore other options of the Aireplay-ng tool to...

https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/firmware/linux-firmware.git/commit/?id=48a400b23832acfc270ca95909c4a170f8d656a6

linux-firmware-48a400b23832acfc270ca95909c4a170f8d656a6.tar.gz

https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/firmware/linux-firmware.git/snapshot/linux-firmware-48a400b23832acfc270ca95909c4a170f8d656a6.tar.gz