Re: Driver/firmware for Realtek RTL8814U WiFi USB Adapter?

>On Wed, Jul 5, 2017 at 2:41 PM, Larry Dighera <LDighera@att.net> wrote:
>
>> Which Debian Stretch package provides firmware for the Realtek
>> RTL8814U chip?  In particular, the Comfast CF-917AC 1750Mbps USB3
>> adapter: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01B75MHR0 .
>>
>> Kali Linux supports the RTL8814 natively:
>> https://www.kali.org/news/kali-linux-20171-release/ .  Further, there
>> are some clues here: https://bugs.kali.org/view.php?id=3260
>> https://github.com/diederikdehaas/rtl8812AU
>> https://github.com/astsam/rtl8812au
>> https://github.com/lwfinger/rtlwifi_new
>>
>> But, I'm looking for an "official" Debian firmware package.
>>
>> I wasn't able to find the rt8814 mentioned here:
>> https://www.debian.org/distrib/packages nor here:
>> http://linux-wless.passys.nl/query_chipset.php?chipset=Realtek
>> nor here: https://wireless.wiki.kernel.org/en/users/drivers

On Wed, 5 Jul 2017 18:57:44 -0400, Jason Wittlin-Cohen
<jwittlincohen@gmail.com> wrote:

>I have the Edimax EW-7822UAC (2x2 802.11ac) which uses the rtl8812AU
>chipset.  I can confirm that the firmware-realtek package does not contain
>support for the rtl8812AU chipset, and presumably also does not
>support the RTL8814U
>chipset.  Neither are listed on https://wiki.debian.org/rtl819x.  In
>contrast, Ubuntu and its derivatives, such as Mint, do package this
>driver.  For example, see
>https://packages.ubuntu.com/xenial/kernel/rtl8812au-dkms.
>
>Fortunately, I was able to compile and install the rtl8812AU driver from
>https://github.com/diederikdehaas/rtl8812AU without difficulty.  I have
>been using this wireless card on a desktop system with Stretch.  It has
>been reliable and I had no problem configuring it with networks running
>WPA2-PSK and WPA2-Enterprise (EAP-TLS).  I'm getting speeds around 300
>Mbit/sec @ 65-70 dbm when connected to a Ubiquiti AC-LR.  In contrast, Mint
>installed the driver for me without issue but had constant issues with
>EAP-TLS due to bugs in network-manager.

Hello Jason,

Thank you for the information you have provided.

Is there a chance the rtl8814AU driver might be available as a backport?

I was hoping that I wouldn't have to compile the driver, but your experience
has left little doubt that it will be necessary.  Although I have
successfully built several Software Defined Radio applications, I've never
been successful in building drivers.  Will ModuleAssistant
<https://wiki.debian.org/ModuleAssistant> assist in building the driver?  Or
is there another "assistant" package that may be of help?

Best regards,
Larry