Re: Re: Replace systemd

On 07/06/2017 10:00 AM, Reco wrote:
> 	Hi.
>
> On Thu, 6 Jul 2017 15:49:41 +0200
> Erwan David <erwan@rail.eu.org> wrote:
>
>>> True. But does libsystemd0 count? It's a library, not an executable.
>>>
>> There are also packages which add a dependency on systemd whereas the
>> same software works perfectly on FreeBSD, thus without anything
>> ressembling it (eg hplip).
>> This leads to upgrade from a jessie without systemd will install it.

I am not a particular fan of systemd, but have learned to live with it,
on the basis that deviations from the default install are likely to lead
to more work, possibly exponentially, down the line.

That said, the hplip in Devuan 2.0 seems to be identical to that in
Stretch, and neither, therefore would depend on (or recommend) systemd.

The output of "dpkg --status hplip" is identical on the two systems.

> I did obligatory 'apt-get upgrade; apt-get dist-upgrade' at least 5
> times so far (jessie→stretch). Different architectures, different
> purposes. There was no systemd on those before the upgrade, and there
> is no systemd after it.
>
> But, I don't use GNOME and do not force it on users. Using GNOME may be
> considered a cruel and unusual punishment in some countries, I don't
> need that.
>
> And I prefer to keep hplip on a printserver, 'cause I see no reason to
> install the thing on a desktops multiple times. Same thing with cups.
>
> If apt insists on installing unwanted packages into your system - I can
> only suggest you to consider learning the way apt works.
>

> Besides, there's no point in complaining about it here.
> To actually change something they suggest users to invoke an excellent
> reportbug utility and transfer their wishes directly to bugs.debian.org.
>
> Reco

Tom Dial