Re: Relative stability of Testing vs Unstable

I can not help much in developing or bug analysis, so my contribution has been to test
what is handed out to me for testing.  I have yet not been able to contribute much as
nothing seems to break in testing or sid (amd64 openbox/lxde) ever.  Sometimes I
wonder when I read the list or archives things being problematic for stable that I
have never encountered.  Maybe lucky, maybe not trying hard enough.

What I have learned testing different distributions is that "stable" and secure are not
nearly associated as many people think.  My latest favority other distribution has been
Manjaro.  I currently run linux 4.9/4.11/4.12 in testing there, no problems.  Some packages
in Manjaro stable are 2-3 years advanced in development than what is maintained in
Debian.  Very few functionality problems (they can't seem to work along with the grub team).
But, is everything going through the same kind of scrutiny with debian or are people
exposed to 2-3 years of risk before debian discovers the problem before it introduces a
package version in sid?  I can not yet tell.
So when I am in worry free mode of whatever happens happens, I use Manjaro.
For everything else I use testing and sid.
9/10 of debian based distros has been a waste of time and 0 learning value.  My
ordered favorites within the 1/10 has been kali, siduction, tails (for the shake of
keeping an eye of what is changing in that field and getting security ideas) .
But they are almost clean debian with some custom extra packages.
Switching from Debian to Manjaro is like parking the dodge (slant 6) van for
daily use and picking up the sportbike for a careless rural ride.  You just can't
go to work with a full leather uniform or park it at the metro station.

This is my experience with it all.

PS  There has been a glimpse of an issue of "security for nothing" in Debian
as I have been able to place files or edit files at my Debian /home from
Manjaro but not the other way around.  So I wonder, if manjaro root can
read and write in my debian-user's /home where is the security in being
unable as debian root to even take a peak at the user's directory?
Don't trust your arch/manjaro sys-admin but feel comfortable with Debian
sys-admin, unless he is booting a different system?  For a single
user system Debian makes your life harder, hopefully not for nothing.