Re: Relative stability of Testing vs Unstable

tomas writes:
> Big, heavily interdependent systems consisting of lots of packages
> (big language environments à la Perl, Python, Java -- but most
> prominently big desktop environments) are especially vulnerable to
> version churn, which typically happens in testing once in its life
> cycle.

I have full Perl and Python environments and I sometimes run CFD, FEM
and CAD packages.  I think that the key is that I scan debian-dev for
warnings and don't try to "track" Unstable by upgrading daily.  It's
best not to upgrade during the first few weeks after a release.

> People with a simple setup (e.g. just a window manager) perhaps won't
> even notice anything happened.

I don't think "just a window manager" quite describes FVWM.
--
John Hasler
jhasler@newsguy.com