Re: Replace systemd

On Wed, Jul 05, 2017 at 12:11:27PM -0400, The Wanderer wrote:
> I suspect that what the people who ask for this are thinking of is a
> step in the installer sequence at which you are prompted to choose which
> init system you want to be installed, such that the installer will never
> even attempt to install any other init system.

Yes, yes, we know.  But they're not going to GET this, so we are giving
them alternative ways to accomplish their goals.

I use fvwm, but you don't hear me asking for the debian-installer team
to add a user interface option to let me install fvwm.  This is because
I'm in a *small minority* of users, and it's not worth their time to
build a user interface option that only a small minority of users are
going to care about, especially when I can achieve the same goal by
running a simple apt-get command after the install.

Likewise, people who prefer sysvinit are a small minority, and they can
achieve their goal by running a simple apt-get command after the install.
There is no need to rewrite a complex user interface to accomodate this.