Re: Replace systemd

On 07/05/2017 09:44 AM, Greg Wooledge wrote:
On Wed, Jul 05, 2017 at 12:11:27PM -0400, The Wanderer wrote:
I suspect that what the people who ask for this are thinking of is a
step in the installer sequence at which you are prompted to choose which
init system you want to be installed, such that the installer will never
even attempt to install any other init system.

Yes, yes, we know.  But they're not going to GET this, so we are giving
them alternative ways to accomplish their goals.

I use fvwm, but you don't hear me asking for the debian-installer team
to add a user interface option to let me install fvwm.  This is because
I'm in a *small minority* of users, and it's not worth their time to
build a user interface option that only a small minority of users are
going to care about, especially when I can achieve the same goal by
running a simple apt-get command after the install.

Likewise, people who prefer sysvinit are a small minority, and they can
achieve their goal by running a simple apt-get command after the install.
There is no need to rewrite a complex user interface to accomodate this.

Speaking of a minority, Linux was started by one good person, history. Individuals rule.

Cheers!
--
Jimmy Johnson

Debian Buster - KDE Plasma 5.8.7 - Intel G3220 - EXT4 at sda14
Registered Linux User #380263