Re: mplayer won't play audio CD

Hi,

Brian wrote:
> Once Thomas Schmitt had disposed of the idea that mplayer requires a
> cable between drive and sound card it comes down to software and not
> hardware.

To be exacting, i only doubted the idea. It got disposed by the report
that a normal user (the desktop starting user ?) can have success.

The hardware is at least not yet proven to be faulty. I am not really
aware whether it was reported that one of the successful CD play attempts
was acoustically flawless. (E.g. by pure Grunge with all its fine nuances.)

> I installed mplayer on a machine (which has pulseaudio) yesterday. There
> was no problem with playing an audio CD

Did you try as superuser ?

I have the gutt feeling that user "root" is slowly being moved into
the role of the man who once was indispensible but now is just an
old fart whom the young agile people don't trust to do anything useful.

Curt noticed this message in the original message:
>  XDG_RUNTIME_DIR (/run/user/1000) is not owned by us (uid 0), but by
>  uid 1000! (This could e g happen if you try to connect to a non-root
>  PulseAudio as a root user, over the native protocol. Don't do that.)

So if the software means that the superuser is not welcome, then this
should be discussed with the software's Debian maintainer or its upstream
developers.

The other messages in the original post
look like software or system management problems, too.
(But hey, i am no expert with software that causes flamewars whenever
 its name gets mentioned.)

Brian wrote:
> cdtool uses the analogue play method

It has been deprecated by MMC-5, which is the first MMC version mentioning
Blu-ray drives. So one could assume that BD drives would not support the
PLAY AUDIO command. Nevertheless, my newest two BD drives announce its
availability by feature 103h. Only my good old LG GGW-H20 does not offer it.
I assume the ASUS and the Optiarc burner have an audio socket at their
backside. The last one i had with front earphone socket was a Lite-On CD
burner from 2003.

Have a nice day :)

Thomas