Re: mplayer won't play audio CD

On Sat 01 Jul 2017 at 10:42:45 -0500, David Wright wrote:

> On Sat 01 Jul 2017 at 16:03:13 (+0100), Rodolfo Medina wrote:
> > deloptes <deloptes@gmail.com> writes:

> > > just to be clear. You have had setup an alias for mplayer, correct? So
> > > everything people advised here was run via this alias 'mplayer -demuxer
> > > lavf'.
> >

> > I'm sorry...  I apologize.  But the problem with root still remains...
>
> First, it would seem sensible to clean up your first post by
> revealing the output from, say,
>
> # mplayer --noconfig=all --ao=alsa cdda://

As someone whose use and knowledge of anything other than vlc is
minimal I did this on unstable and got

 Unknown option on command line: --noconfig=all
 Error parsing option on the command line: --noconfig=all

> Currently I don't have mplayer installed, only mplayer2.

How relevant is this statement to the issue?

  Package: mplayer2 (3:0.23.0-2)
  transitional dummy package for mpv

  This is a transitional dummy package to get upgrading systems to
  install the mpv package. It can safely be removed once no other
  package depends on it.

> I would point out that this command still reads input.conf
> files so you might want to move them out of the way too.
>
> Secondly, most of the error messages involved alsa rather
> than the CD player. How does root get on with playing
> sound files from other sources?

Once Thomas Schmitt had disposed of the idea that mplayer requires a
cable between drive and sound card it comes down to software and not
hardware.

(I use cdplay from the cdtool package quite extensively, especially in
scripts. If the OP had been using cdtool, Curt's cable suggestion would
have very likely been correct as cdtool uses the analogue play method).

I installed mplayer on a machine (which has pulseaudio) yesterday. There
was no problem with playing an audio CD, but I did not go in for any
customisation, which is probably not the case with Rodolfo Medina.

--
Brian.