Re: [Stretch] apt-get has no updates?

On 30-06-17, RavenLX wrote:

> > If you have unattended-upgrades package installed and it is configured
> > to fetch and install security updates only ( which is default ), that is
> > place to look for upgraded packages. You can also configure
> > unattended-upgrades to mail you where there was updates/upgrades and all
> > that jazz.
>
> How do I go about upgrading then? I don't know of how to do it any other way
> than via apt-get. Also I don't want to have it email me anything. I usually
> go to the command line, do a series of commands and upgrade the system. I
> would like to continue to do things that way. I do this once a week (usually
> Thurs. but now I'm switching to Fridays).

Well, as you could see from your log, unattended-upgrades did it job and
upgraded security packages. If you want to keep those auto
updates/upgrades for security packages ( not that you will get much more
updates than those now that stretch is stable ), you do not have to do
anything. Security updates will be done automatically. If you want to
prevent automatic upgrades and disable them, because you want to do it
manually like you are used to, you should edit file
/etc/apt/apt.conf.d/20auto-upgrades and change it from this:

APT::Periodic::Update-Package-Lists "1";
APT::Periodic::Unattended-Upgrade "1";

to this:

APT::Periodic::Update-Package-Lists "0";
APT::Periodic::Unattended-Upgrade "0";

If you want to keep those unattended upgrades working, settings are in
/etc/apt/apt.conf.d/50unattended-upgrades. For further reading and
explanation look here:

https://wiki.debian.org/UnattendedUpgrades

https://linux-audit.com/using-unattended-upgrades-on-debian-and-ubuntu/

or just duckgogo/google it, there are few nice explanations.