Re: OT: SQL database - some questions

On Wed, Jun 28, 2017 at 5:00 PM, Hans <hans.ullrich@loop.de> wrote:
> Dear list,
>
> this is a little offtopic, but maybe you can make things a little bit clearer
> for me.
>
> I had had a webserver hosted by a provider, which is switched off since a
> year. From this server I got a backup of a sql database. The system that ran
> that time, was wordpress, and the database is called something like
> "bla_bla_wp2016018_911.sql.gz"
>
> On this website I wrote some blogs, which I want to have back.
>
> So my question: Are these blogs content in this database? And if yes, can I
> restore them without to setup a complete wordpress server with sql database?

This question should be first asked on the wordpress list, not here. Some
of the wordpress devs do haunt the debian lists, but you'll just get better
answers there.

> Is there an easy way or only a hard way?

Yes. There is an easy way and many ways to easily make it way harder than it
should be.

> Would be nice, if someone could give me some points, I am not so experienced
> with databases.

It will be much easier to figure the database part out with wordpress
installed and running. You can set it up for access only from the local
machine, and then you can play around with the files as you like.

Much easier to make progress when you have the thing in front of you,
running.

If you have, for example, other mysql/maria database stuff on the
machine, you can set up wordpress to not conflict, with help from the
people on the wordpress list.

And if you have questions they can't answer, we may be able to help
you here. Or we may send you to the mysql list.

(I personally have found that shying away from signing onto new
mailing lists has caused me more trouble than keeping track of the
new passwords, etc.)

--
Joel Rees

One of these days I'll get someone to pay me
to design a language that combines the best of Forth and C.
Then I'll be able to leap wide instruction sets with a single #ifdef,
run faster than a speeding infinite loop with a #define,
and stop all integer size bugs with my bare cast.
http://defining-computers.blogspot.com/2017/06/reinventing-computers.html

More of my delusions:
http://reiisi.blogspot.com/2017/05/do-not-pay-modern-danegeld-ransomware.html
http://reiisi.blogspot.jp/p/novels-i-am-writing.html