Re: How did you update to stretch?

On Mon, 26 Jun 2017 15:46:00 +0200
Hans <hans.ullrich@loop.de> wrote:

> Am Montag, 26. Juni 2017, 08:26:38 CEST schrieb John Hasler:
> > Hans writes:
> Interesting! I did not notice apt, just used apt-get, apt-cache and
> so on. Just read the manual of apt. However, aptitude has also its
> worth, as for me it is faster to see, which dependencies are existent
> for the packages. I like ncurses-guis.

Aptitude does a better job of resolving dependencies than apt-get.
Unfortunately, the other side of that coin is that it takes longer to
do a particular job, and large numbers of simultaneous upgrades cause
it to run very slowly. It therefore doesn't handle version upgrades
very well, and may break. Some versions ago, aptitude was the
recommended tool for the upgrade, but that has not been the case for
the last two or three.

I have two mobile installations of sid, which may go for months
without getting upgraded. This means that when the time comes, there may
well be hundreds of upgrades, and I gave up long ago using aptitude for
that job. If it's a short time since the last upgrade, I'll use
aptitude, but not otherwise.

--
Joe