Re: Workaround {Re: One problem identified - was [Re: ARandR problems: Bug or opderator?]}

On 06/23/2017 02:42 PM, Felix Miata wrote:
Richard Owlett composed on 2017-06-23 06:25 (UTC-0500):
.
I've identified one problem source.
At least sometimes after a power off shut down it comes up with the
laptop display selected as primary.
How can I force it to always come up with the VGA monitor as
primary?

Maybe https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/fb/modedb.txt is
what you need?

Quite possibly. But perhaps not in the expected way ;}
It led me to <https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/fb/00-INDEX> which has overview articles which should fill in gaps in my background.

My interests have an "end user" orientation. I took introductory programming courses as an E.E. student in early 60's, but even working for Digital Equipment in the 70's computers were a tool not a goal.

My goal for this and related threads is the improvement of "ARandR Screen Layout Editor". It sets out to meet my needs in what I find to be an appropriate manner. I can contribute to its improvement by gaining enough background to write useful coherent bug reports.

[snip]
I created /home/richard/.screenlayout/VGA-as-master.sh with
preferred settings back when I was experimenting. I had
understood ARandR would use it automatically. It evidently doesn't.

If that script is manually run after logging in as a particular user
both displays display as desired.

My remaining problem is not knowing how to run the script
automatically
when a particular user logs in. [ARandR is designed as a 'per-user
function']
How?
Must it only be for one specific user?

As I said above "[ARandR is designed as a 'per-user function']".
The directory </home/richard/.screenlayout/> is part of ARandR.

If so, then it needs to be called by any
of several usual means for user-specific startup scripts.
It won't be run simply because it exists.

There is an apparently garbled init script
q.v. <https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=865535>

If OTOH global application will suffice, put it in /etc/X11/Xsession.d, which
will apply it as a consequence of using any GUI login greeter. If you wish it
applied to include the greeter, you can convert its content into an xorg.conf,
or maybe merge it into /etc/X11/ elsewhere somehow (which I've never managed to do).
.
The content of the script file is:
#!/bin/sh
xrandr --output VGA-1 --primary --mode 1280x1024 --pos 0x0 --rotate normal --output LVDS-1 --mode 1366x768 --pos 0x0 --rotate normal --output HDMI-3 --off --output HDMI-2 --off --output HDMI-1 --off --output DP-3 --off --output DP-2 --off --output DP-1 --off
.
A bug report has been filed
<https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=865535>