Re: Wheezy to Stretch upgrade failure

On Sat, 24 Jun 2017, Andrew wrote:
> Ive tried to update a non GUI system from Wheezy to Stretch and its gone
> horribly wrong.

> Would I have been wise to upgrade it to Jessie first?

Yes.  The safest procedure is:

1. Update to the latest point-release of the version you have installed.

2. Read the release notes of the *next* Debian stable version
2a. update to the latest point-release of the next debian stable
    version, using the method described in the release notes.

3. clean up

4. repeat 2, 2a, 3 until you arrive at the latest Debian stable version.

Which kinda means it would have been faster for you to do a full backup
(which you should always do before major upgrades, anyway) and install
stretch from scratch, I suppose.

--
  Henrique Holschuh