Re: No live CD ISOs without GUI desktops?

seldon@eskimo.com wrote:
>https://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/current-live/i386/iso-hybrid/
>lists many ISOs, but all have graphic desktops, so none would fit on
>a 650 MB CD-ROM, of which I have lots; I don't have larger media.
>The situation for the amd64 architecture is identical.
>
>https://www.debian.org/distrib/ points to netinst ISOs that do fit,
>but they're numbered as 9.0.0, not 9.0.1.

That's correct. I rebuilt the live images to fix a number of issues
that were found, as detailed in the docs there. There were no such
issues with the installer images (netinst, DVD sets etc.) so we're
still on 9.0.0 for those. The X.Y.Z digits in the version numbers for
our images mean:

 X == the major version (8 ==jessie, 9 == stretch)

 Y == the point release (9.0 will become 9.1 when we roll out updates
      to Debian as a whole, typically every few months)

 Z == the version of the CD/live/cloud image (updated to show rebuilds
      due to bugs, or specific security rebuilds)

>A livecd is what a sysadmin needs for troubleshooting borked disks,
>and GUIs are for noobs and rubes, so I'd've expected that when the
>patchlevel for Stretch was incremented, there'd be nongraphic livecds
>released as well.

We used to have non-graphical live images, but they were
problematic. Nobody has stepped up to work on them and so they've been
dropped in Stretch. That hasn't changed in the last week. We're
looking for somebody to work in this area.

>Is the omission of nongraphic livecds from 9.0.1 an oversight,
>or was it done this way because the bugs fixed by 9.0.1 involved
>only graphics?  That hypothesis sounds strange because I thought
>one of the problems was a missing liblzo2, a decompression library
>which is not obviously specific to graphics-only software.

The "missing liblzo2" was just a symptom of the underlying problem,
which was a bug in the metadata in the live images. That underlying
problem has been fixed in the live-wrapper tool now.

>The persistent link to 9.0.0 netinst on https://www.debian.org/distrib/
>needs to remain as such until 9.0.1 nongraphic equivalents are released,
>because right now **/current/i386/iso-cd/debian-9.0.1-i386-netinst.iso
>doesn't exist.
>
>However, leaving it as such confuses the concept of "the" current
>version of Debian stable; is it 9.0.0 or 9.0.1?  Considering that
>building a livecd without a graphic desktop is easier than building
>one with a desktop, perhaps the nongraphic versions should also
>be created, and all the links in official documentation updated,
>just to make it clear that 9.0.1 is "the" current stable Debian.

See the versions description above...

"Because heaters aren't purple!" -- Catherine Pitt