Kernel Panics on Stretch

Colleagues,
   I can't figure out what I've done wrong. I did a fresh install of
Stretch, with backports enabled, and Gnome desktop, using the
default  kernel as highlighted. When I reboot, I get a kernel panic.
I can SOMETIMES boot in by entering recovery mode. I also have
Jessie and Wheezy install in separate partitions, and I can boot
them fine. Grub in installed in the MBR of first hard drive. I have
installed 3 separate time with the same result.

Ron Benincasa

--
"This is so abstract, it must be topologically invariant" - Raul Bott