Re: slow connections to non-bridged hostapd/dnsmasq wireless access point (was pointers to material...)

On Wed, Jun 14, 2017 at 9:39 AM, Dan Ritter <dsr@randomstring.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 14, 2017 at 07:40:49AM +0900, Joel Rees wrote:
>> (Now that I'm awake...)

>> Actually, it might be normal for this ancient Android tablet.

>> > Interesting. Without the alias on eth0, the netbook is now able to access
>> > the internet through the bridged eth0 port. This is beginning to make
>> > more sense to me.
>> >
>> > Speed on your 100Mb blob is reasonable, ETA of about two minutes
>> > and 40 seconds, which is close to the limit on my connection.
>> >
>> > Wireless devices are not able to log in. I'm not sure I got the changes
>> > to the dnsmasq and ntp configurations right for doing a subrange of
>> > what I have the wall router providing me.
>>
>> I forgot the most important setting.
>>
>> Setting hostapd to bridge mode solved the connection problem.
>>
>> It's still running about 20 seconds per megabyte, which may be all I
>> want to expect from this ancient single-processor 32-bit ARM
>> Android 2.4 tablet with only 1G RAM and an 80%-90% full 8G internal
>> flash.
>>
>> I'll try a connection on one of my kids' computers later.

>> > This is something I can play with after I wake up tomorrow. (It's about
>> > two in the morning here and I need to get some sleep.)

For the record, the speed problem somehow resolved itself.

I don't know how, but I'm guessing that, after a couple of re-boots,
networkmanager figured out how to get itself out of the way.

Or maybe it was just one reboot and my efforts to setup dns became
moot. If I had time, I'd try to figure out a real setting, but I need to
focus on the novel I'm trying to write. (And my son went out and
bought a new wireless router, which is now not misbehaving, but
since he's supposed to be graduating with a degree in computer
networking pretty soon, I'm leaving that up to him. ;)

Thanks again for the help.

--
Joel Rees

One of these days I'll get someone to pay me
to design a language that combines the best of Forth and C.
Then I'll be able to leap wide instruction sets with a single #ifdef,
run faster than a speeding infinite loop with a #define,
and stop all integer size bugs with my bare cast.
http://defining-computers.blogspot.com/2017/06/reinventing-computers.html

More of my delusions:
http://reiisi.blogspot.com/2017/05/do-not-pay-modern-danegeld-ransomware.html
http://reiisi.blogspot.jp/p/novels-i-am-writing.html