Re: slow connections to non-bridged hostapd/dnsmasq wireless access point (was pointers to material...)

On Mon, Jun 12, 2017 at 11:50:00AM +0900, Joel Rees wrote:
> (famous last words)
>
> On Sat, Jun 10, 2017 at 3:53 PM, Joel Rees <joel.rees@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I now have connection for both the wireless and the netbook that is acting
> > as the AP. I took out the bridge entirely, quit trying to play with
> > port forwarding,
> > just used dead simple setup. dnsmasq was the only missing piece, if I had
> > not been focusing on bridging.  Bridging is probably for the other direction.
> >
> > But the wireless is pretty slow, so I'm not sure I'm finished.
> >
> > I have to go take care of some family business, when I'm done I'll
> > post the details.
> >
> > But it's really pretty simply. I was just working too hard.
>
> But it's too slow to maintain a connection.
>
> After mucking around a bit, I haven't really come up with anything. So
> I'll post my
> configurations (names changed as usual):

You have an eth0 network, a non-overlapping wlan0 network -- can
you characterize "too slow"?

Things to check:

- ping from your netbook to the outside world
- ping from a wifi client through the netbook to the outside
  world

if those work,

- wget -O /dev/null http://speed.hetzner.de/100MB.bin
- and on a wifi client