Re: slow connections to non-bridged hostapd/dnsmasq wireless access point (was pointers to material...)

On Tue, Jun 13, 2017 at 9:30 AM, Dan Ritter <dsr@randomstring.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 12, 2017 at 11:50:00AM +0900, Joel Rees wrote:
>> (famous last words)
>>
>> On Sat, Jun 10, 2017 at 3:53 PM, Joel Rees <joel.rees@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > I now have connection for both the wireless and the netbook that is acting
>> > as the AP. I took out the bridge entirely, quit trying to play with
>> > port forwarding,
>> > just used dead simple setup. dnsmasq was the only missing piece, if I had
>> > not been focusing on bridging.  Bridging is probably for the other direction.
>> >
>> > But the wireless is pretty slow, so I'm not sure I'm finished.
>> >
>> > I have to go take care of some family business, when I'm done I'll
>> > post the details.
>> >
>> > But it's really pretty simply. I was just working too hard.
>>
>> But it's too slow to maintain a connection.
>>
>> After mucking around a bit, I haven't really come up with anything. So
>> I'll post my
>> configurations (names changed as usual):
>>

> You have an eth0 network, a non-overlapping wlan0 network -- can
> you characterize "too slow"?

Actually, now that I dig in, it only seems to be routing dns traffic.

That is, I tried to ping the wireless interface from my daughter's computer
and got a network not reachable or down result of some sort. (I didn't
write the exact message down, and my daughter's at school so I can't
use her computer.)

But my logs on the netbook that is running hostapd and dnsmasq show
quite a bit of dns traffic, lots of queries returning successful results.

> Things to check:
>
> - ping from your netbook to the outside world

No problem there.

> - ping from a wifi client through the netbook to the outside
>   world

That also got network not reachable or down or something.

> if those work,
>
> - wget -O /dev/null http://speed.hetzner.de/100MB.bin
> - and on a wifi client

I tried that in bridge configuration just now and I'm only getting one
percent every twenty to thirty seconds. The non-bridged configuration
doesn't even read the mail to look at the url.

--
Joel Rees

One of these days I'll get someone to pay me
to design a language that combines the best of Forth and C.
Then I'll be able to leap wide instruction sets with a single #ifdef,
run faster than a speeding infinite loop with a #define,
and stop all integer size bugs with my bare cast.
http://defining-computers.blogspot.com/2017/06/reinventing-computers.html

More of my delusions:
http://reiisi.blogspot.com/2017/05/do-not-pay-modern-danegeld-ransomware.html
http://reiisi.blogspot.jp/p/novels-i-am-writing.html