Re: Choose between amd64 and i386

On Sat 10 Jun 2017 at 16:50:19 (+0100), Rodolfo Medina wrote:
> Richard Owlett <rowlett@cloud85.net> writes:

I can't remember whether you said that you had tried an
entirely i386 install (ie using an i386 ISO).

> >> Then I try to reboot with power button but the machine remains
> >> for many hours in that state...  Then after many hours it turns off...
> >
> > I am NOT familiar with any Acer product. However, there is a useful feature
> > in my assortment of Lenovo laptops and one desktop. It might be described as
> > a "panic stop". It is triggered by pressing and holding the power button. It
> > is *BRUTE* force and regularly causes Debian to run a disk diagnostic on the
> > next boot. You might check Acer documentation or user group for a similar
> > function.
>

> Thanks...  but, as I described, Debian doesn't even manage to start up on that
> machine...  and that's my problem...  I don't use Windows and so the machine is
> there permanently unused, waiting and hoping for next Debian releases to work
> in the next - not too far - future...

It's many years since I had a laptop fail to stop when you
hold down the power button firmly for, say, 15 seconds.

The next step, of course, is to remove the battery pack, which
may or may not be straightforward.

I couldn't understand "regularly causes Debian to run a disk
diagnostic on the next boot" in this context. If partitions
haven't been mounted, there's no reason for them to get marked
as dirty.

OTOH what can happen is for a longer POST than normal to run.
Dells have a habit of doing this if you power off during a POST
or edit the CMOS.

Cheers,
David.