Re: Choose between amd64 and i386

Michael wrote:

>not sure about this particular device, but I think it *might* be one of
>those 64bit machines with 32bit UEFI . If this is the case you could run
>a 64bit system, the difficult thing is how to get it booted ;)
>IIRC the only debian installer iso that will boot such a device is the
>netinst iso. If you use this to install a 64 bit system you will probably
>have to do a chroot into the new system after the installation has
>finished and manually install the grub-efi-ia32 and grub-efi-ia32-bin
>packages to be able to boot the newly installed system.
>I had this problem last year with a lenovo laptop and finally ended up
>with sparky linux (which is basically stretch with a small number of
>sparky specific extras), where this procedure worked well. Back then
>sparky was the only distribution I could find whose install disc would
>boot that device (netinst was no option there, since there is no wifi
>ootb with my lenovo toy).
>Of course I might be completely wrong, it is just a guess that your
>device suffers from that same 32bit UEFI issue.

We've supported the wacky "64-bit platform, 32-bit UEFI" devices
(e.g. Bay Trail) ever since the first Jessie release. If you grab a
multi-arch netinst or DVD image, it will boot via 32-bit but let you
start a 64-bit installation and *also* will detect the 32-bit platform
and install the correct version of grub.

  Armed with "Valor": "Centurion" represents quality of Discipline,
  Honor, Integrity and Loyalty. Now you don't have to be a Caesar to
  concord the digital world while feeling safe and proud.