Re: initramfs-tools - forgotten change?

Hi Ben,

I believe, this is what happened:

Most people will have

/etc/initramfs-tools/conf.d/resume

file, which has  a "RESUME=" content. So it will be the same, as set in
initramfs.conf. This "resume"-file (I believe, but I am not sure!) was some day
created by package uswsusp (If I am wrong. please correct me!)

So, no people do see a difference, because a variable RESUME= exists, either
with /dev/sdaX or UUID=somewhatever.

I checked a fresh installation of initramfs-tools (0.130) and latest uswsusp:
None of these installation creates

/etc/initramfs-tools/conf.d/resume

file. So, maybe this should be checked and confirmed somehow.

I also found out, that it is recommended, to use UUID entries in /etc/fstab,
otherwise you get some warnings. However, they do not harm. They are like:

cryptsetup: can not find canonical name for /dev/sda3

I suppose, this is well known and not important in this case.

As far as I tested, adding RESUME=auto in initramfs.conf did find my swap
device. Hibernation (=suspen-to-disk) is working but Resume from swap is still
not working. This is also another story, and might not be involved in this one
(especially, because at boot the resume device IS FOUND, and the saved image
IS loaded, but THEN crashes).  So, do not look at this bug, just wanted to
mention it.

Back to my state: People should make sure. if there is a "resume" file, because
I believe, a fresh installation does not create one. Instead, the debian
installer would do, but neither initramfs-tools-package, nor uswsusp-package
don't. The latter one previous did create one and edited it, too. Now this
configuration option is no more called again by dpkg-reconfigure (as it did
before!)

Hope, this make things a little bit clearer.

Best regards

Hans