Re: [A bit OT] Diagnosing home network

On Sat, May 20, 2017 at 09:38:21AM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Saturday 20 May 2017 01:41:20 Mark Fletcher wrote:
>
> Couple things here. I have no such problems. My routing is from the cable
> modem, to a buffalo netfinty router running dd-wrt, so I need no
> firewall. dd-wrt has very sharp teeth so I don't seem to need an
> additional guard dog. The output of the buffalo hits an 8 port managed
> switch, and everything else is plugged into that switch. There are 2
> more switch/hubs plugged into that switch so that one cable to the
> garage hitting an 8 port switch in the garage that feeds 3 machines
> there, and another cable thats been blowing in the wind for about 15
> years now, runs from the house to a 12x16 shop building in the upper
> rear corner of the back yard, where always 2, and occasionally a 3rd
> machine is plugged into a 4 port hub.  The 2 8 port switches and the hub
> are gigahertz capable.  Even the machines in the shop building can
> access the internet at megabyte+ a second speeds.  Amanda hits them all
> at about 1:30 am, and even then, with that load on this machine slowing
> it some, I don't notice a huge networking data slowdown.
>
> You'll note no mention of wifi here as its turned off unless I have
> children visiting with their smart phones.  wifi is slower, and subject
> to being used by the neighbors as I found my net usage after the kids
> had been in was up about 80 Gb a month later. I don't couple the wifi to
> my net, only to the internet, but inspecting dd-wrt's list of dhcpd'd
> net leases disclosed that a neighbor seemed to have discovered it and
> was helping himself to my bandwidth. So I had to log back into the
> buffalo and turn the radio off again. As the garage has vinyl siding, I
> have to do the same thing on a raspberry pi 3b out there, which has an
> excellent wifi, and I had to shut it off too. The raspian-jessie
> defaults enable it, and a dhcpd server, so it was handing out addresses
> and connections on wlan0, using bandwidth I could see.  Ooops.  And I
> have to do it everytime I build a new sd card for it. dhcpcd killed
> forever now, or until I change sd cards.
>
> I configured for future expansion, whereas your setup sounds like its
> machine to machine.  So get a router you can reflash, ditch the
> firewall, and feed the routerr (after setting up NAT in the router to
> put your local network on a local address in the 192.168.xx.zz block of
> addresses) and if you must have dhcpcd for your wireless stuff, do it in
> the router. Everything here is in /etc/hosts, resolv.conf says order
> host,dns, and dns is pointed at the router, and forwards dns requests to
> my ISP's dns servers.  And from this end, its all transparent, but the
> black hats are SOL, blocked at the router. I've one  porthole cut in
> that, to allow access to my web page in the sig.  Other than that, no
> one has come thru that setup and gotten into one of my machines in close
> to 15 years.

It seems like you read my original problem as slowness accessing the
internet. That isn't the problem, I'm concerned about intra-LAN speeds.
Haven't even got the length of worrying about internet speeds yet, since
there are so many variables that can impact that, I have to be sure my
end is in tip-top shape before I start poking at that.

Mark