Re: Clairification - was [Re: Desktop Background Bites the Dust]

On Thu 25 May 2017 at 10:38:22 -0500, David Wright wrote:

> On Thu 25 May 2017 at 12:18:44 (+0100), Brian wrote:

> > > I prefer to keep feh off my systems; its description is a lie.
> > >
> > > feh - image viewer and cataloguer
> > >
> > > It's an editor that has no concept of a buffer, but just scribbles
> > > over the original file. And, IIRC, the error message, when thwarted
> > > by a read-only file, is incorrect: it blames the permissions of
> > > the directory, not the file.
> >
> > The description is not intended to deceive
>
> It calls itself a viewer, and that is plainly deceptive when
> the program irrecoverably modifies the file with one keystroke,
> whether deliberate or not.

We'll agree on the deceptive, non-deceitful nature of the description,
then.

> > and the limited editing
> > functions are described in the manual.
>
> One would hope they are. But most viewers I've come across do
> not modify the file when carrying out the trivial but vital
> operations one would expect to be present: orientation,
> flipping etc.
>
> I would also point out that these single dangerous keystrokes
> are adjacent to other keys that one might expect to use, and
> can use, safely. Eg _ (invert) is next to +, | (flip) is next
> (British layout) to both A and Shift itself.
>
> I really can't understand why these particular operations
> have been chosen to be in-place; it's grossly incompetent
> interface design.
>
> > Scribbling can be avoided
> > (Ctrl+2 in the manual):
>
> I wonder whether you realise that's a mouse command. Have you

It's strange what people wonder about. I suppose it comes from assuming
the other person lacks reading skills and never tests anything. Sad.

> tried holding down Control, then pressing and holding down
> both buttons within the prescribed time constraint, then
> trying to move another digit on the touchpad to get anything
> resembling a precise rightangle rotation?
>
> No, this is an entirely different function from the flip/invert/
> rotate functions one expects in a viewer. Apropos these mouse
> commands, what's the mysterious "null button" (first in the list)
> that's meant to restore the image?
>
> > https://github.com/derf/feh/issues/86
>
> Oh, I see people agree with me. Depressingly, the < and > commands
> are legacy baggage, and derf (flagged as "Owner") says they will
> be kept. So, my choice, and it's no feh, period.

Glad to have helped. A primary source is rarely deceptive or deceitful.

Sometimes feh's modification of a file could have unwanted consequences.
Other times it is of no consequence. But carrying out any operation on
an original file at any time is to be avoided. I might be persuaded to
move from feh to something like qiv or mirage. Meanwhile, I'll stick
with action0, action1, etc to save and restore a file before it is
manipulated.

--
Brian.

--