Re: Desktop Background Bites the Dust

On 05/20/2017 06:33 PM, Michael Milliman wrote:

> On 05/20/2017 01:56 PM, Mike Kupfer wrote:
>> Michael Milliman wrote:
>>
>>> I have no clue what happened, but the desktop background picture has
>>> ceased to be displayed.
>> [...]
>>> I have attempted to re-set the desktop
>>> background via both system settings and via right-click->set desktop
>>> background on the desktop to no effect.
>>
>> I don't know what caused your old wallpaper to go away, but the
>> inability to set it is tracked by
>>
>>   https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=862355
>>
> This appears to be the same problem.  I will be watching this bug report
> with interest!!  It also seems to have been reported around the same
> time my system went belly-up, so it is probably an update that was
> installed.  Thanks for the info, at least I know it isn't something that
> I botched up! :)
>
>> The bug report also lists a workaround (which I haven't tried).

The workaround is using the feh package to manually set the background
image.  This does work, however, it has to be done each time you log-in.
 It is better than nothing.  Upstream also appears to have a bug
reported on it, and they suggest installation of mate-desktop 16.2 with
caja 16.3, neither of which has made it to the Debian distribution as of
yet.

--
73's,
WB5VQX -- The Very Quick X-ray