Re: Clairification - was [Re: Desktop Background Bites the Dust]

On Thu 25 May 2017 at 12:18:44 (+0100), Brian wrote:
> On Wed 24 May 2017 at 18:57:01 -0500, David Wright wrote:
>
> > On Wed 24 May 2017 at 17:28:52 (-0500), Michael Milliman wrote:
> >
> > > I installed and have been using feh as a stop-gap until the Debian
> > > repositories catch up to upstream and/or fix the problem in Stretch.
> > > Been working just fine, with its limitations.  It's better than a black
> > > desktop. :)  I had to read the man page a couple of times and try it
> > > another couple of times to make it work, but work it does.
> >
> > I prefer to keep feh off my systems; its description is a lie.
> >
> > feh - image viewer and cataloguer
> >
> > It's an editor that has no concept of a buffer, but just scribbles
> > over the original file. And, IIRC, the error message, when thwarted
> > by a read-only file, is incorrect: it blames the permissions of
> > the directory, not the file.
>
> The description is not intended to deceive

It calls itself a viewer, and that is plainly deceptive when
the program irrecoverably modifies the file with one keystroke,
whether deliberate or not.

> and the limited editing
> functions are described in the manual.

One would hope they are. But most viewers I've come across do
not modify the file when carrying out the trivial but vital
operations one would expect to be present: orientation,
flipping etc.

I would also point out that these single dangerous keystrokes
are adjacent to other keys that one might expect to use, and
can use, safely. Eg _ (invert) is next to +, | (flip) is next
(British layout) to both A and Shift itself.

I really can't understand why these particular operations
have been chosen to be in-place; it's grossly incompetent
interface design.

> Scribbling can be avoided
> (Ctrl+2 in the manual):

I wonder whether you realise that's a mouse command. Have you
tried holding down Control, then pressing and holding down
both buttons within the prescribed time constraint, then
trying to move another digit on the touchpad to get anything
resembling a precise rightangle rotation?

No, this is an entirely different function from the flip/invert/
rotate functions one expects in a viewer. Apropos these mouse
commands, what's the mysterious "null button" (first in the list)
that's meant to restore the image?

> https://github.com/derf/feh/issues/86

Oh, I see people agree with me. Depressingly, the < and > commands
are legacy baggage, and derf (flagged as "Owner") says they will
be kept. So, my choice, and it's no feh, period.

Cheers,
David.