Re: Oh no something has gone wrong! after reinstalling Debian and Gnome.

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Oh no something has gone wrong! after reinstalling Debian and Gnome.
Local Time: May 21, 2017 3:56 AM
UTC Time: May 21, 2017 12:56 AM
From: anilduggirala@fastmail.fm
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org

I had installed Windows 10 and Debian 8.8 (with LXDE) in dual boot
(UEFI) and everything was working. I wanted to reinstall Debian, so I
installed Debian again by deleting the debian partitions (I think
correctly) using the Debian installer partitioner and choosing the
Guided use largest continuous space option, this time I installed with
the Gnome desktop environment. I am getting a Oh No, Something has gone
wrong message, the system cannot recover' message after booting into
Debian. Should I have deleted the prior Debian entry in the EFI
partition? does this have anything to do with this error? Is there any
other solution to this problem?

Check the UUIDs of the system (ls -lh /dev/disk/by-UUID) and compare the uuid of the partition with the one listed in the grub.cfg to see if they match.  Probably by deleting and formating the partition a new UUID was created that does not match the prexisting one.  If you have other systems and installed debian without its own bootloader the existing grub is from previous installations and was not updated.  If the "other" system boots fine and gives you access to its own grub, just do a (sudo update-grub) and it will locate the new installation with the correct uuid and replace the menu entry.

Just guessing the details you did not post.

thanks a lot,