Wrong mtimes on memory card, mount -o tz=UTC ineffectual

The mtimes of the files on a VFAT file system on a memory card
used by a digicam are off by two hours. My time zone is CEST,
which is two hours ahead of UTC so I thought that mounting the
file system with -o tz=UTC might fix that.

It doesn't. In fact, in makes no difference whatsoever.

Apparently, mount(8) likes to mount VFAT file systems as if
tz=UTC were there, even in the absence of any tz= in /etc/fstab
or on the command line.

Am I alone in seeing this ?

A similar bug was already reported in 2010 and closed in 2013
because the maintainer couldn't reproduce it :

André Majorel <http://www.teaser.fr/~amajorel/>
bugs.debian.org, the spammers' favourite.